Main outcome measure
- Projecting future drug expenditures–2012.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2012; 69: 405-421
- Rational use of medicines.World Health Organization, Geneva2011
- Vital signs: variation among states in prescribing of opioid pain relievers and benzodiazepines - United States, 2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 563-568
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Injury prevention and control: prescription drug overdose. http://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/overdose.html. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Behind closed doors: medication storage and disposal in the home.Ann Pharmacother. 2013; 47: 482-489
- Types and quantities of leftover drugs entering the environment via disposal to sewage—revealed by coroner records.Sci Total Environ. 2007; 88: 137-148
- What do patients do with unused opioid medications?.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 654-662
- What happens to expired medications? A survey of community medication disposal.Vet Hum Toxicol. 1996; 38: 48-49
- An analysis of returned medicines in primary care.Pharm World Sci. 2005; 27: 296-299
- Unused medicines with potential for misuse or abuse in primary care.Int J Pharm Practice. 2007; 15: 229-233
- From dispensing to disposal: the role of student pharmacists in medication disposal and the implementation of a take-back program.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2010; 50: 613-618
- Drug take back in Hawai'i: partnership between the University of Hawai'i Hilo College of Pharmacy and the Narcotics Enforcement Division.Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2014; 73: 26-31
- Quantification of an ongoing community-based medication take-back program.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2014; 54: 275-279
- Use of prescription and over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements among older adults in the United States.JAMA. 2008; 300: 2867-2878
- Editors and researchers beware: calculating response rates in random digit dial health surveys.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 665-676
- “Trial” prescriptions to reduce drug wastage: results from Canadian programs and a community demonstration project.Am J Manag Care. 2002; 8: 151-158
- Adult use of prescription opioid pain medications - Utah, 2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59: 153-157
- Beyond the medicine cabinet: an analysis of where and why medications accumulate.Environ Int. 2008; 34: 1157-1169
- Impact of a Medicare MTM program: evaluating clinical and economic outcomes.Am J Manag Care. 2014; 20: e43-e51
- Comparison of costs of community and mail service pharmacy.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2005; 45: 336-343
- Mail-order pharmacy use and adherence to diabetes-related medications.Am J Manag Care. 2010; 16: 33-40
- Patient participation in a clinic-based community pharmacy medication take-back program.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2014; 54: 280-284
- New DEA rules expand options for controlled substance disposal.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2015; 29: 22-26
Disclosure: The authors declare no relevant conflicts of interest or financial relationships.
Funding: The funding for this study was provided by the Charles E. Degenstein Foundation and the Foundation for Pennsylvania Watersheds .
Previous presentation: The results of this study have been reported at a poster presentation at the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy's Annual Meeting in San Diego, April 9, 2015. All authors read and approved this manuscript.