Institute of Medicine. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10027/crossing-the-quality-chasm-a-new-health-system-for-the. Accessed May 28, 2015.
- Client preferences affect treatment satisfaction, completion, and clinical outcome: a meta-analysis.Clin Psychol Rev. 2014; 34: 506-517
- Shared decision making—pinnacle of patient-centered care.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 780-781
- Collaborative deliberation: a model for patient care.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 97: 158-164
- Shared decision making: a model for clinical practice.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 1361-1367
- Shared decision making interventions for people with mental health conditions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD007297
- Patient involvement and shared decision-making in mental health care.Curr Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 6: 83-90
- Improving the detection and management of depression in primary care.Qual Saf Health Care. 2003; 12: 149-155
- The ethical imperative for shared decision-making.Eur J Pers Centered Healthc. 2013; 1: 129-131
- Shared decision making: really putting patients at the centre of healthcare.BMJ. 2012; 344: e256
- “Many miles to go …”: a systematic review of the implementation of patient decision support interventions into routine clinical practice.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2013; 13: S14
- Shared decision-making in mental health care: practice, research, and future directions.2010 (Available at:)Accessed September 22, 2015)
- Assessing the economic costs of serious mental illness.Am J Psychiatry. 2008; 165: 663-665
- Revised prevalence estimates of mental disorders in the United States: using a clinical significance criterion to reconcile 2 surveys' estimates.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 115-123
- The five most costly conditions, 1996 and 2006: estimates for the U.S. civilian noninstitutionalized population.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2009 (Available at:)Accessed May 28, 2015)
- Compliance with medication regimens for mental and physical disorders.Psychiatr Serv. 1998; 49: 196-201
- From noncompliance to collaboration in the treatment of schizophrenia.Psychiatr Serv. 1990; 41: 1203-1211
- Psychiatric and social reasons for frequent rehospitalization.Hosp Community Psychiatry. 1994; 45: 347-350
- Using drug claims data to assess the relationship of medication adherence with hospitalization and costs.Psychiatr Serv. 2001; 52: 805-811
- Shared treatment decision making improves adherence and outcomes in poorly controlled asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010; 181: 566-577
- Patients' depression treatment preferences and initiation, adherence, and outcome: a randomized primary care study.Psychiatr Serv Wash DC. 2009; 60: 337-343
- Training health professionals in shared decision-making: an international environmental scan.Patient Educ Couns. 2012; 88: 159-169
- Multiple perspectives on shared decision-making and interprofessional collaboration in mental healthcare.J Interprof Care. 2013; 27: 223-230
- Shared decision making: examining key elements and barriers to adoption into routine clinical practice.Health Aff Proj Hope. 2013; 32: 276-284
- An integrative model of shared decision making in medical encounters.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 60: 301-312
- The OPTION scale: measuring the extent that clinicians involve patients in decision-making tasks.Health Expect. 2005; 8: 34-42
- The 9-Item Shared Decision Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9). Development and psychometric properties in a primary care sample.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 80: 94-99
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa. Ottawa personal decision guide. Available at: https://decisionaid.ohri.ca/docs/das/OPDG.pdf. Accessed May 27, 2015.
Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. ICSI shared decision-making model. Available at: https://www.icsi.org/_asset/0vs54w/What-is-Shared-Decision-Making-042412.pdf.
- Peering into the black box: a meta-analysis of how clinicians use decision aids during clinical encounters.Implement Sci. 2014; 9: 26
- Decision-making in the physician-patient encounter: revisiting the shared treatment decision-making model.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 49: 651-661
- Edwards A. Elwyn G. Shared decision-making in health care: Achieving evidence-based patient choice. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford2009
Disclosure: Michael R. Gionfriddo was supported by CTSA grant no. TL1 TR000137 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Science . The contents of the manuscript are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. The other authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Funding: This project was supported by a grant from UCare, Minneapolis, MN.
Previous presentations: “Pharmacists, shared decision making, and medication therapy management: learnings from a one-time intervention focusing on mental health”—oral presentation, Minnesota Health Services Research Conference, Saint Paul, MN, March 2015. “Pharmacists and shared decision making: does it change the conversation?”—poster session, College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, April 2014. “Pharmacists and shared decision making: does it change the conversation?”—resident poster session, University Health-System Consortium Pharmacy Council Meeting, Orlando, FL, December 2013.