Main outcome measures
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lyme disease transmission. www.cdc.gov/lyme/transmission/index.html. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- Surveillance for Lyme disease: United States, 1992–2006.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2008; 57: 1-9
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lyme disease data. www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/index.html. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- Introduction: Lyme disease.Medicine Health Rhode Island. 2008; 91: 208-209
- Lyme disease: the next decade.Infect Drug Resist. 2011; 4: 1-9
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome. www.cdc.gov/lyme/postLDS/index.html. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- Prophylaxis with single dose doxycycline for the prevention of Lyme disease after an Ixodes scapularis tick bite.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 79-84
- Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis for the prevention of Lyme disease: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.J Antimicrob Chemo. 2010; 65: 1137-1144
- The clinical assessment, treatment, and prevention of Lyme disease, human granulocytic anaplasmosis, and babesiosis: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 43: 1089-1134
University of Rhode Island Tick Encounter Resource Center. Frequently asked questions: tickborne disease. www.tickencounter.org/faq/tick_borne_disease. Accessed July 31, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lyme disease: a public information guide. www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/brochure/508_LD_Brochure.pdf. Accessed May 11, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ticks and Lyme disease. www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/toolkit/factsheets/10_508_Lyme%20disease_HikersCampers_FACTSheet.pdf. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- Statewide impact of pharmacist-delivered adult influenza vaccinations.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 29: 450-452
- The role of pharmacists in the delivery of influenza vaccinations.Vaccine. 2004; 22: 1001-1006
- Direct access to emergency contraception through pharmacies and effect on unintended pregnancy and STIs: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2005; 293: 54-62
- Randomized trial assessing the effectiveness of a pharmacist-delivered program for smoking cessation.Ann Pharmacother. 2009; 43: 194-201
- Comparative effectiveness of two pharmacy-based colorectal cancer screening interventions during an annual influenza vaccination campaign.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2010; 50: 181-187
- Effect of pharmacist-led patient education on adherence to tuberculosis treatment.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007; 64: 497-505
- Pharmacists as providers: targeting pneumococcal vaccinations to high risk populations.Vaccine. 2011; 29: 8073-8076
- Increasing access to emergency contraception through community pharmacies: lessons from Washington State.Fam Plann Perspect. 2001; 33: 172-175
- Medication therapy management and collaborative drug therapy management.J Manag Care Pharm. 2010; 16: 67-68
- Pharmacist prescribing of hormonal contraceptives: results of the Direct Access study.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2008; 48: 212-221
Northwest Center for Public Health Practice. Collaborative drug therapy agreement for influenza antivirals in Washington State. www.nwcphp.org/training/opportunities/toolkits-guides/collaborative-drug-therapy-agreement-for-influenza-antivirals-in-washington-state. Accessed May 11, 2013.
Redlich GS. R.I.’s Good Samaritan Law offers protection: up to a point. http://block-island.villagesoup.com/p/r-i-s-good-samaritan-law-offers-protection-up-to-a-point/1002266#. Accessed May 24, 2013.
SteelFisher G, Koonin LM, Rothholz MC, Patel A. New approaches during a pandemic for antiviral medication dispensing: collaboration that utilizes the community pharmacist [webinar]. http://elearning.pharmacist.com/products/1111/new-approaches-during-a-pandemic-for-antiviral-medication-dispensing-collaboration-that-utilizes-the-community-pharmacist. Accessed May 24, 2013.
Disclosure: The authors declare no conflicts of interest or financial interests in any product or service mentioned in this article, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, or honoraria.
Acknowledgments: To Scott Campbell, BSPharm; Pamela Matteson, BSPharm; and Collette Bissonette, BSPharm, for conducting study recruitment and enrollment.
Funding: Financial support for this project was provided through a Rhode Island Foundation Grant awarded in March 2012. Support for the expansion and continuation of the project was provided through a Community Pharmacy Foundation Grant awarded in December 2012.
Previous presentation: American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting & Exposition, Los Angeles, March 1–4, 2013.