Main outcome measures
- Recent patterns of medication use in the ambulatory adult population of the United States: the Slone survey.JAMA. 2002; 287: 337-344
- Careful: acetaminophen in pain relief medicines can cause liver damage.2011 (Available at:)Accessed April 16, 2013)
Food and Drug Administration. Acetaminophen overdose and liver injury—background and options for reducing injury. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6aVXsNX0T. Accessed August 3, 2015.
- Emergency department visits for overdoses of acetaminophen-containing products.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 585-592
Food and Drug Administration. Briefing information for the June 29-30, 2009 joint meeting of the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee with the Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee and the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6Fvzgqcar. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- The FDA Acetaminophen Advisory Committee meeting—what is the future of acetaminophen in the United States? The perspective of a committee member.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2009; 47: 784-789
- Prescription drug products containing acetaminophen; actions to reduce liver injury from unintentional overdose.Federal Register. 2011; 76: 2691-2697
- Prescription acetaminophen ingestions associated with hepatic injury and death.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 1249-1252
- FDA limits prescription acetaminophen. But be vigilant about over-the-counter acetaminophen, too.Harvard Womens Health Watch. 2011; 18: 1
- Patterns of acetaminophen medication use associated with exceeding the recommended maximum daily dose.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015; 24: 915-921
- Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)–related gastrointestinal and renal toxicity. Letter to the state boards of pharmacy.Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research web site, January 22, 2004 (Available at:)Accessed April 30, 2013)
IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics. Declining medicine use and costs: for better or worse? A review of the use of medicines in the United States in 2012. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6NNv9pGxK. Accessed May 21, 2014.
- Misunderstanding and potential unintended misuse of acetaminophen among adolescents and young adults.J Health Commun. 2011; 16: 256-267
- Prevalence and correlates of exceeding the labeled maximum dose of acetaminophen among adults in a U.S.-based internet survey.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 1280-1288
- Improving prescription drug warnings to promote patient comprehension.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 50-56
Suydam L. CHPA overview and approach: Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) presentation for the June 29, 2009, Joint meeting of the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee with the Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee and the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6GGfyKZxl. Accessed April 30, 2013.
- The role of pictures in improving health communication: a review of research on attention, comprehension, recall, and adherence.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 61: 173-190
- Use of pictorial aids in medication instructions: a review of the literature.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2006; 63: 2391-2397
- Improving pregnancy drug warnings to promote patient comprehension.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 318.e1-318.e5
- NCPDP recommendations for improved prescription container labels for medicines containing acetaminophen. Version 1.1.January 2013 (Available at:)Accessed April 30, 2013)
- Pharmaceutical pictograms: a model for development and testing for comprehension and utility.Res Social Adm Pharm. 2013; 9: 609-620
- Criteria for safety symbols (American National Standards Institute Z535.3–Revised).National Electrical Manufacturers Association, Rosslyn, VA2007
- Developing consumer-centered, nonprescription drug labeling a study in acetaminophen.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 593-598
- Testing of candidate icons to identify acetaminophen-containing medicines.Pharmacy. 2015; 4
- On the speed of mental processes.Acta Psychol (Amst). 1969; 30: 412-431
- Memory-scanning: mental processes revealed by reaction-time experiments.Am Sci. 1969; 57: 421-457
- Speed and timing of behavioural processes.in: Birren J.E. Schaie K.W. Handbook of the Psychology of Aging. Academic Press, San Diego2001: 288-312
- Response Times: Their Role in Inferring Elementary Mental Organization.Oxford University Press, New York1986
- The effects of task complexity and practice on dual-task interference in visuospatial working memory.Brain Impairment. 2005; 6: 13-20
- Response times to speech stimuli as measures of benefit from amplification.Br J Audiol. 1990; 24: 63-68
- Visual complexity of websites: effects on users’ experience, physiology, performance, and memory.Int J Hum Comput Stud. 2009; 67: 703-715
- Noise exposure and cognitive performance: a study on personnel on board Royal Norwegian Navy vessels.Noise Health. 2015; 17: 320-327
- Searching for routing signs in public buildings: the distracting effect of advertisements.in: Brogan D. Visual Search. Taylor & Francis, London1990: 151
- Aging and measures of processing speed.Biol Psychol. 2000; 54: 35-54
- Pilot’s visual attention allocation modeling under fatigue.Technol Health Care. 2015; 23: S373-S381
- The effect of one night’s sleep deprivation on adolescent neurobehavioral performance.Sleep. 2014; 37: 1799-1807
- Alcohol-impaired speed and accuracy of cognitive functions: a review of acute tolerance and recovery of cognitive performance.Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008; 16: 240-250
- The emotional Stroop task and psychopathology.Psychol Bull. 1996; 120: 3-24
- The modified Stroop paradigm as a measure of selective attention towards pain-related stimuli among chronic pain patients: a meta-analysis.Eur J Pain. 2002; 6: 273-281
- Icons improve older and younger adults’ comprehension of medication information.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 1998; 53: P240-P254
- Get out of here, quick! Problems with transparent labels on glass doors.J Exp Psychol Appl. 2013; 19: 241-253
- Rapid estimate of adult literacy in medicine: a shortened screening instrument.Fam Med. 1993; 25: 391-395
Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry: label comprehension studies for nonprescription drug products. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6aVSqbYNo Accessed August 3, 2015.
Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry: self-selection studies for nonprescription drug products. Available at: http://www.webcitation.org/6Fw0hxepF. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes.Biometrics. 1986; 42: 121-130
- Applied Liner Statistical Models.4th ed. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, 1996
- Relation of health literacy to exceeding the labeled maximum daily dose of acetaminophen.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 183-190
- Acute tolerance to alcohol effects on inhibitory and activational mechanisms of behavioral control.J Stud Alcohol. 2005; 66: 663-672
- The effect of headache pain on attention (encoding) and memory (recognition).Pain. 2002; 97: 213-221
- Cognitive function in chronic rhinosinusitis: a controlled clinical study.Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2015;
- Selective effects of minor illnesses on human performance.Br J Psychol. 1987; 78: 183-188
- Stress and cognition.Wiley Interdiscip Rev Cogn Sci. 2013; 4: 245-261
- Emergency department patient knowledge concerning acetaminophen (paracetamol) in over-the-counter and prescription analgesics.Emerg Med J. 2008; 25: 213-216
- Survey of patient knowledge related to acetaminophen recognition, dosing, and toxicity.J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2010; 50: 485-489
- Comprehension and retention of safety pictorials.Ergonomics. 1997; 40: 531-542
- Icon identification in context: the changing role of icon characteristics with user experience.Hum Factors. 2007; 49: 465-476
Disclosure: This project was sponsored by McNeil Consumer Healthcare, which markets acetaminophen products. The sponsor approved the design and analysis plan and commented on a draft of the manuscript, but did not otherwise participate in study execution, analysis, writing, or publication. Authors Shiffman, Rohay, Sembower, and Cotton have consulted with McNeil Consumer Healthcare. Author Jessurun is employed by McNeil Consumer Healthcare.